Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wrapping It Up



So my time thus far in Zambia has been absolutely incredible. We have had a wonderful time experiencing the culture. Last weekend we got completely drenched by the mist of Victoria Falls and saw a dance show and this weekend we sailed down the Zambezi on a sunset cruise. A few of us ventured through the local market where they were selling everything from dried fish to handmade sofas and couches. I have been having a fabulous time and look forward to every day and the new adventures that come with it.
I have been very fortunate to see the many sides of Zambian healthcare. On Monday and Friday I assisted at the Hospice facility, Tuesday I did Home Base Care in the village of Ngwyena, Wednesday I helped with the Under 5 Clinic at Boma Clinic, and Thursday I went to the rural area of Natebe to do Home Based Care. It was during my time in Natebe where I had the best experience so far. The people that live there have very limited access to care so we had to walk a good distance to reach their homes. They were so grateful for the seemingly limited services that we could provide. About halfway through the day, we were visiting an older gentleman that was having back pain as well as other symptoms. It was there that we met Marshall, a four year old boy that had gotten his foot caught in a bike tire. He had two deep sores on the inside of his foot that his grandfather had packed with Colgate toothpaste. Dr. Morrison and I knew we had to take care of these sores before they got any worse. She decided to be the one to hold him while I cleaned and dressed his wounds. After much screaming and crying, a little innovation and some great assistance from Dr. M, Sheri, and Laura, Marshal was all taken care of with a wrapped up foot, Scooby-Doo gummies in his hands and a smile on his face.
My time here has been amazing and I am looking forward to this week and working with and serving the people of Zambia.






-Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment