Monday, July 25, 2011

"I'm a Nurse. I'm Also a Florist, Truck Driver, and a Midwife."

Women in Zambia do it all. At least Ms. Gertrude at the Linda Clinic does.

Question for you, how many nurse, truck driver, florist, midwives do you know? Me? I don't know a single one. Imagine if this lady was working as a nurse in America and told one of her patients that she used to be a truck driver. I don't know about yall, but I might look at her like she had two heads. Truck drivers are becoming nurses these days? That's probably what I would think. I'm telling you women in Zambia do it all!

If you consider the always controversial portrayal of African American women in the American media, or perhaps your personal life, there is a strong connection between Zambian and African American women in terms of strength. For me, fewer things were more evident and true than this cross cultural and continental connection.

Did I tell you women in Zambia do it all? They carry children on their backs, carrots on their head, walk 3 hours to a clinic- barefoot at times, maintain a home for their families, love and rear their children in less than ideal circumstances, sometimes when their own health and livelihood is in question, and they do not complain. I never heard a complaint, did you all? I am amazed by their stamina and backbone.

To all the Ms. Gertrude's of Zambia and America, I admire you all!

Brittany

Molly- thanks for sharing Ms. Gertrude's story with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment