Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I came, I Saw, I Sneezed!



Coming to Zambia has been an experience of a life time. I am so glad that I got to visualize what health care is like in an African country. The people that I have met during this journey are truely wonderful people and will not be forgotten. I especially enjoyed working with the staff at Boma Clinic, they were very welcoming and answered any questions I had. They also utilized me and put me to "WORK", making sure by the end of my morning shift I was exhausted and had to go take a nap. The Home Base Care providers also were very welcoming, they share a bond with their patients like no other and are willing to learn and enhance their services. Several of the HBC providers were volunteers within the community that just wanted to make a difference. There was not one HBC provider that told me, they did not enjoy what they were doing. The people of Zambia are inviting and kind hearted, they are very aware of their surroundings and are humble. Many individuals that I encountered in the clinics were willing to learn, especially the Mothers. The mothers had questions and they were very determined to get an answer, they listened to the nurses with open minds and followed instructions to the tee.
I have met several people in the markets especially the market. The last trip that I took with Jennifer to the market I shook hands with many and bargained with a few. I felt like a kid in a candy store when I came back with my bookbag and hands full of items that I had payed less for than most tourists who went there. I made one friend who claimed his name was Junior Obama. I had promised him a sweatshirt on my first visit to the market, so when I returned he grinned from ear to ear knowing that I was coming to make good on my promise. As soon as I opened my bag he quickly snatched the sweatshirt put it on and told me anything I wanted in the store was mine except for his gigantic painting of President Obama. I quickly made good of the offer and we both shook hands and said goodbye with huge grins on our faces.
I enjoyed going on a safari this past weekend, getting to see wildlife close and personal in their natural habitat was a thrill. I saw many elephants, giraffs and kudos, I encountered getting attacked by a few birds but I hid behind Jennifer for protection. These last few days have been pretty bad currently I am sitting from my top bunk typing this blog because I have been suffering from severe allergies and what seems to be like a nasty sinus infection with a flavored cough. I hope by the time we leave tomorrow my medication and prayer would make me feel much better. Also, Jennifer has been under the weather as well and I prayed for her but she refuses to take ORS so all I got for her is prayer.

Peace, Love and Blessings,
B*Foh

No comments:

Post a Comment