Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Farewell Zambia!







Hi everyone! This is August and Sheri. We can't believe our amazing journey in Zambia is already ending. Over the past few weeks we have learned so much from both our projects and the people of Zambia.

August's Favorite Experiences
My favorite experience's have been working in Dambwa Clinic, Natebe Home Based Care, working with children and HIV Education in the prison. At Dambwa Clinic, I got the chance to work in the Antenatal Clinic and HIV Testing & Counseling. I absolutely loved both of these assignments. The Antenatal Clinic was so incredible to see. It is amazing to see how they are able to do so much with so little technology. HIV Counseling & Testing was very interesting as well. I got to see five people tested. It was wonderful to be allowed to observe such a personal moment. Natebe Home Based Care is the most rural community that we visited during our home based care visits. We saw a variety of ailments. The people were so grateful to have us come and see them. Last but not least, HIV Education in the prison was surprisingly my favorite experience. The HIV rate is 1 in 3 in Livingstone, so it is imperative that everyone has a thorough knowledge of the disease. Visiting the prison and speaking with the prisoners made me feel like a true public health educator. I am really glad that I had the opportunity to go there. I have enjoyed every moment of this experience.

Sheri's Favorite Experiences
My favorite experiences have been visiting the Old People's Home, working with the children and making home base care visits in Ngwenya and Natebe. I was particularly interested in the Old People's Home because I work in long term care in the United States. Here I made several new friends and played Memory and BINGO with the residents. Fikre and I had the chance to interview three residents for our research project. The Old People's Home has a spectacular garden that they use to generate income, as well as to provide vegetables for their meals. I enjoyed the time I spent with the residents---it was truly no different from working at home! Many of the residents I interviewed had similar health concerns and food concerns that I am used to addressing as a dietitian back home. Finally, home based care was amazing and really provided insight into the struggles and daily lives of the patients we visited. I hope to make it back to Zambia one day and continue on my public health journey!

We both fell in love with the children! To quote one of our colleagues...they make you feel like a "celebrity" and always wave at you as you pass by. We will never forget the adoration of the Zambian children (they climb all over you, play with your hair and are fascinated by pictures of themselves) or the famous "Munzugu Bus" song that they sang whenever we drove by the schools. We had the chance to work with children during art club, reading club, sports and afterschool.

We would like to thank African Impact and the people of Zambia for being so welcoming and gracious! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment