Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Finally got internet at the compound we are staying in and it is pretty fast. I have been so busy since we started working on Monday. So far I have done home based care, worked in clinics, taught children how to read, and farmed at a community farm at the Maramba Old People Home here. It is very different from life in the US even more than I had anticipated. I really enjoyed the under 5 clinic at Maramba Clinic. I weighed babies and watched them get immunizationsas well as listened in on long term family planning session with Theresa. The clinic is always short staffed and it is difficult to get the things that they need. I don't even think there was a doctor on site when I went. All of the mothers seem to be very compliant with their medicines as well as taking their babies to be weighed every month. What is most impressive is that all the children are given cards to keep up with and not a single mother had lost her card for her child and they are very diligent about bringing it back! They enjoy keeping track of their child's health and making sure they are on track with nutrition and immunizations. They also are very patient even though there are a lot of them being seen at one time and it takes much of the morning and in to the afternoon until they can go home, I never heard them complain. Tomorrow I will be working in labor and delivery and am hoping to see a live birth! Having a good time so far, lots of work to be done.
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment