Thursday, July 14, 2011


WOW! I don't know where to start. We have been in Zambia for a week. I have helped create an Adult Health Talk on Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV and then presented it with the help of a translator. After we gave the health talk, we assisted the health workers in weighing babies under the age of 5. Yesterday, along with 2 other volunteers, I helped give the final talk of an HIV education program in a voluntary after school class for high school students (they had great questions - some I could not answer!). Today a group of us went to a village far outside of the area - very rural. We were there to offer health care to those who needed it. We cleaned wounds, dispensed basic medications and offered advise for improved health (diet and water intake). We got to help grind and sift corn - I'm not good at that, but I think I could learn. This is public health education in action and an incredible experience. One thing I'm still waiting to see is an ELEPHANT!

Laura

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you! What a fabulous experience. I hope you get to see an elephant!

    Take care,
    Kelly L

    ReplyDelete